Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Guest Post: Curry Cream Mussels

This week I am not on the "Right Coast" but near the west coast (the other right coast), in Alberta. Knowing that I likely wouldn't be as near a computer as usual, I asked my friend and fellow-blogger Kristen to do a guest post.

Kristen is passionate about eating great food and making it. Her blog with bite is about savouring every bite. Kristen is a supports locally grown food, Halifax restaurants and appreciates the art of cooking (and baking).

Here's Kristen's post:


This past Friday afternoon, I was thrilled to find out that Superstore had mussels on sale; 5lbs. for 5bucks! I immediately phoned my best gal Maria to see if she was available to celebrate such a deal. When I got home, 5 lbs. of these tasty shellfish in hand, I decided to make a creamy sauce to coat 'em.

Curry Cream Mussels
Nova Scotia Mussels with Curry Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
5lbs. mussels, cleaned. Throw away any with broken shells
1 sm. onion or 1/2 large
2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp butter
1 c. heavy cream
1tbsp. Curry powder

Method:
In a large pot, saute onions and garlic in butter on med-low heat. Add curry powder and stir to make sure all the veg is coated. Add cream and heat until just incorporated. Remove from heat.
In the same pot, place the mussels and pour the curried cream on top. Cover and steam on Med. heat, about 15-20 minutes until the mussels open. Note: Do not eat mussels that haven't opened on their own!

Gotta love the image of a big pot of steaming mussels!

Nova Scotia pot of Steaming Mussels


Read more yummy posts from Kristen's blog with bite

Further info: How to pick your own mussels

No comments: