Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried green tomato topped with goat cheese and chutney

One early Saturday morning, a friend and I set off to Halifax's Farmers Market. I was on a mission. I had a hankering for fried green tomatoes and wanted to try making them.

After searching for a recipe online, I came across one calling for cornmeal and breadcrumbs. Perfect. So, as I sliced the tomatoes, I talked with a southern accent (like Jessica Tandy from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes"). This drove my kids nuts. They got more annoyed when my husband chimed in but he sounded more like Tom Hanks in "Forrest Gump".

These tomatoes were yummy. Even more so when topped with something tart and that's where I got the idea of adding goat cheese and chutney. Thought of adding a dab of the lavender jelly but thought I'd best save the near empty jar for my morning toast.

No comments: